Current status of this position: accepting applications
Tsukuba International School (TIS) offers an international education for children from age 3 to 16 (Kindergarten to Grade 10). We are an IB World School authorized to implement the Primary Years Programme (PYP) and Middle Years Programme (MYP) of the International Baccalaureate (IB). We are a candidate school for the Diploma Programme (DP) and we are currently working toward gaining authorization to offer the DP from August 2017. (Note that candidate status does not guarantee that authorization will be granted.)
We are currently seeking a certified preschool teacher to start in August 2017. The successful candidate will teach all core subjects in transdisciplinary units to a class of 5 year olds (Kindergarten).
As TIS is an IB World School, experienced IB/PYP teachers will be given preference, although certified teachers with a strong interest in inquiry-based learning, collaborative planning, and the PYP will also be considered.
Pledge of Non-Discrimination
Tsukuba International School is an equal opportunity educator and employer. We will not discriminate against any student, prospective student, employee, or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, nationality, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We will take measures to ensure against such discrimination in all of our services and practices.
The following are non-negotiable credentials for applying for this position.
- Native English proficiency.
- University degree in education (preferably with early years or elementary specialization) from a country with an English language-based curriculum. (A degree in “Teaching English as a Second/Foreign Language” is not sufficient.)
- Qualifications to teach in a jurisdiction with primarily English-based education. (This means that the candidate must be a certified teacher in a country such as Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or the United States.)
- Valid and up-to-date first aid and CPR certifications (or willing to obtain or update certification within a few months of starting)
NOTE: All successful candidates will be required to submit a criminal history background check, or similar, for all countries that they have worked in, as a condition of employment.
Range of Experience
We hope to find a candidate with the following range of experience.
- Experience teaching in a preschool (preferred) or an elementary school.
- Experience teaching the Primary Years Programme of the International Baccalaureate.
- Experience teaching at an international school, or in a multicultural environment.
- Experience teaching non-native speakers of English.
- Familiarity with inquiry-based learning.
- Experience with collaborative planning.
- Experience living in Japan, or living abroad.
Salary: based on experience
School Year: Late August to June
Vacation: 10 days paid personal leave, all Japanese national holidays plus fall, winter, spring, and summer vacations
Visa sponsorship: available
Relocation: will pay for flight to Japan (for applicants who are currently residing overseas) and assist in finding accommodation
Please see our page on Tsukuba to learn more about living and working in the city.
Submit a resume outlining your education and employment history (including your current position). Attach a one-page cover letter stating why you are interested in this position and what you could contribute to our school. Applicants chosen for interviews will be required to provide three references, preferably former employers or mentor teachers, and copies of relevant degrees and certificates. Applications can be sent by email (preferred) or postal mail. Interviews may take place in person or by web conference. If you have a web camera and a Skype account, please mention that in your cover letter.
Tsukuba International School
Attn: Ms. Shaney Crawford
Tsukuba, Ibaraki, JAPAN
Please write: “Preschool Teacher Application” on the envelope.
Please submit your documents as PDF files or in plain text. Use the subject “Preschool Teacher: August 2017”.
Applications are due by March 15, 2017, but we encourage candidates to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be considered as soon as they arrive and the position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is found. We hope to make the final hiring decision by April 1, 2017.
Please note that Tsukuba International School is a preschool, elementary school, and junior high school where all classes are taught in English, NOT a private company that teaches English conversation lessons to children and adults; therefore, we will only consider applicants who have proper teaching qualifications (i.e. a degree in education, preferably specializing in elementary education). A TESL/TEFL certificate and/or Bachelor degree in a subject other than Education would not be enough to meet these standards.
We apologize, but only those candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. Documents that are submitted to the school will not be returned.
We look forward to hearing from you.