Current status of this position: accepting applications
Tsukuba International School (TIS) offers an international education for children from age 3 to 18 (preschool to Grade 12). We are an IB World School authorized to implement the Primary Years Programme (PYP), Middle Years Programme (MYP), and Diploma Programme (DP) of the International Baccalaureate (IB).
We are currently seeking a full-time DP Mathematics HL and DP Physics (SL/HL) teacher to start in August 2017. The successful candidate will teach mathematics and physics to students in the high school and will participate in collaborative planning with the other teachers at the school.
As TIS is an IB World School, experienced IB (DP) teachers will be given preference, although certified teachers with a strong interest in international education and the DP will also be considered.
Pledge of Non-Discrimination
Tsukuba International School is an equal opportunity educator and employer. We will not discriminate against any student, prospective student, employee, or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, nationality, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We will take measures to ensure against such discrimination in all of our services and practices.
The following are non-negotiable credentials for applying for this position.
- Native-level English proficiency.
- University degree in education (preferably with maths and/or physics specialization) from a country with an English language-based curriculum. (A degree in “Teaching English as a Second/Foreign Language” is not sufficient.)
- Qualifications to teach in a jurisdiction with primarily English-based education. (This means that the candidate must be a certified teacher in a country such as Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or the United States.)
- Valid and up-to-date first aid and CPR certifications (or willing to obtain or update certification within a few months of starting)
NOTE: All successful candidates will be required to submit a criminal history background check, or similar, for all countries that they have worked in, as a condition of employment.
Range of Experience
We will give preference to candidates with the following kinds of experience.
- Experience teaching mathematics and/or physics
- Experience teaching at the high school level
- Experience teaching the Diploma Programme of the International Baccalaureate
- Experience teaching at an international school, or in a multicultural environment.
- Experience teaching non-native speakers of English.
- Familiarity with inquiry-based learning.
- Experience with collaborative planning.
- Experience living in Japan, or living abroad
Salary: based on experience
School Year: Late August to June
Vacation: 10 days paid personal leave, all Japanese national holidays plus fall, winter, spring, and summer vacations
Visa sponsorship: available
Relocation: will pay for flight to Japan (for applicants who are currently residing overseas) and assist in finding accommodation
Please see our page on Tsukuba to learn more about living and working in the city.
Applications must be sent by email to the following address.
- A resume outlining your education and employment history (including your current position)
- A one-page cover letter stating why you are interested in this position and what you could contribute to our school
Please submit your documents as PDF files. Use the subject “DP Maths/Physics Teacher: August 2017”.
Applicants chosen for interviews will be required to provide contact information for three references, preferably former employers or collaborating teachers, and copies of relevant degrees and certificates. Interviews may take place in person or by web conference. If you have a web camera and a Skype account, please mention that in your cover letter.
Applications are due by June 15, 2017, but we encourage candidates to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be considered as soon as they arrive and the position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is found. We hope to fill the position by July 1, 2017.
We apologize, but only those candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. Documents that are submitted to the school will not be returned.
We look forward to hearing from you.