Current status of this position: accepting applications
Profile of School
Tsukuba International School (TIS) offers an international education for children from age 3 to 18 (preschool to Grade 12). We are an IB World School authorized to implement the Primary Years Programme (PYP), Middle Years Programme (MYP), and Diploma Programme (DP) of the International Baccalaureate (IB).
Pledge of Non-Discrimination
Tsukuba International School is an equal opportunity educator and employer. We will not discriminate against any student, prospective student, employee, or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, nationality, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We will take measures to ensure against such discrimination in all of our services and practices.
We are currently seeking a part-time after school care supervisor to start in August 2018. The successful candidate will work with one other person to supervise students after the school day finishes (five days per week between Monday to Friday) from 2pm to 5pm. The applicant must be able to either provide their own transportation to and from the school, or commute to and from Banpaku Kinen Koen Station (and be picked up by the school bus from there).
Job Description: After School Care Supervisor
The role of the After School Care Supervisor is to work with the staff and the principal to provide a safe and fun environment for students who are staying in after school care.
The After School Care Supervisor reports to the Student Support Officer.
Specific responsibilities include:
A School Guiding Statements
- Understand the philosophy of the school and work to uphold the school’s guiding statements (mission, vision, school-wide learning objectives, definition of international-mindedness, pledge of non-discrimination, policies).
- Understand and act in accordance with school policies and procedures
- Pledge to protect all children in the care of the school.
B Teaching and Learning
- Provide a fun learning environment for students who are staying in after school care.
C School Culture
- Interact with colleagues, parents, and students in a positive, friendly, and co-operative way.
- Arrive promptly to school and to meetings.
- Ensure that attendance is taken during each after school session.
- Ensure that students are adequately supervised at all times.
- Ensure the well-being and safety of all students.
- Ensure that students get on their assigned buses.
- Assist in first aid when necessary.
- Ensure that school equipment and resources are used in a respectful way by all members of the school community.
E Faculty and Staff
- Work cooperatively with other staff members to ensure the safety of students who are staying in after school care.
The above lists are not comprehensive. Other duties may be assigned, based on the school’s needs and the employee’s capabilities.
The following are non-negotiable credentials for applying for this position.
- English proficiency.
- Valid and up-to-date first aid and CPR certifications (or willing to obtain or update certification within a few months of starting)
NOTE: All successful candidates will be required to submit a criminal history background check, or similar, for all countries that they have worked in, as a condition of employment.
Range of Experience
We will give preference to candidates with the following kinds of experience.
- Experience working with children, especially with preschool and elementary school aged children
- Experience working in a multicultural environment.
- Experience working with native and non-native speakers of English.
- Experience living in Japan, or living abroad
Salary: set amount per month based on five-days per week, four weeks per month
School Year: late August to late June
Vacation: 10 days paid personal leave, all Japanese national holidays plus fall, winter, spring, and summer vacations
Visa sponsorship: not available (because this is a part-time position)
Relocation: applicant must currently live in, or be willing to commute to, Tsukuba, Ibaraki
Please see our page on Tsukuba to learn more about living and working in the city.
Submit a resume outlining your education and employment history (including your current position). Attach a one-page cover letter stating why you are interested in this position and what you could contribute to our school. Applicants chosen for interviews will be required to provide three references, preferably former employers or mentor teachers, and copies of relevant degrees and certificates. Interviews may take place in person or by web conference. If you have a web camera and a Skype account, please mention that in your cover letter.
Applications must be sent by email to the following address.
Please submit your documents as PDF files. Use the subject “After School Care Supervisor: August 2018”.
Applications are due by July 31, 2018, but we encourage candidates to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be considered as soon as they arrive and the position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is found. We hope to fill the position by August 15, 2018.
We apologize, but only those candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. Documents that are submitted to the school will not be returned.
We look forward to hearing from you.