Image: © International Baccalaureate Organization 2012
Introduction to the PYP
Programme of Inquiry
The Primary Years Programme is organized around six transdisciplinary themes that students engage with throughout the year.
- Who we are (WWA)
- How we organize ourselves (HWOO)
- How the world works (HTWW)
- How we express ourselves (HWEO)
- Where we are in place and time (WWAIPAT)
- Sharing the planet (STP)
Here are the units that the elementary students engaged with in the 2014-15 school year.
- WWA – People are important to us in different ways
- HWOO- N/A
- HTWW – Food is essential for all living things
- HWEO – There are different forms of expression
- WWAIPAT – There are many ways to move
- STP – N/A
- WWA – Every day I learn about who I am and what I can do.
- HWOO- The role of some jobs is to help.
- HTWW – The world has periods of light and dark.
- HWEO – Stories inform, provoke and entertain us.
- WWAIPAT – There are many kinds of homes.
- STP – Water is an essential resource.
- WWA – We can make choices about daily routines and lifestyles.
- HWOO – Communities provide interconnected services designed to meet our needs.
- HTWW – Understanding the way materials behave and interact determines how people use them.
- HWEO – Celebrations help us reflect on life.
- WWAIPAT – Documenting family histories allows us to reflect on who we are and where we’ve come from.
- STP – Living things have adaptations that enable them to live in certain environments.
- WWA – Choices of role models reflect the beliefs and values of individuals and societies
- HWOO- Technology impacts on the world of work and leisure
- HTWW – Forces can sometimes change the Earth’s surface in a dramatic way
- HWEO – Artists use their imaginations to express their creativity
- WWAIPAT – Journeys can lead to new opportunities and discoveries
- STP – Personal conflicts can be solved in many ways
- WWA – All living things are made up of systems that perform specific functions.
- HWOO- Marketplaces depend on the ability to trade goods and services.
- HTWW – All living things have different stages of life.
- HWEO – Communication takes place in different ways.
- WWAIPAT – Significant events can change the world.
- STP – Our need for energy has an impact on the environment.
- WWA – People experience changes during different stages of their lives.
- HWOO- Many societies have developed rules and systems for organizing themselves.
- HTWW – Weather patterns change throughout the world.
- HWEO – Stories are a way of sharing perspective and understanding about the world.
- WWAIPAT – Buildings differ throughout the world based on the influence of culture and resources.
- STP – Children worldwide face a variety of risks.
- WWA – Our physical and mental health is altered by outside influences.
- HWOO- Exhibition: different each year. 2014-15’s: Human-made systems and economic activities have impacts on communities, the environment and climate.
- HTWW – Understanding the physical laws of forces and motion help us use them in different ways.
- HWEO – Media is a powerful tool that influences decisions people make.
- WWAIPAT – Systems and technologies from the past shape present day systems and technologies.
- STP – The health of an ecosystem is dependent on the biodiversity within it.
Students engage with these units through the inquiry cycle, which gives them the chance to tune in to the topic, find out more about it, sort out their understanding of the topic, research further to consolidate their learning, make conclusions, and take action.
Here are overviews of what our students studied in the 2016-17 school year.
- First Term PYP Overview (November 2016)
- Second Term PYP Overview (March 2017)
- Third Term PYP Overview(June 2017)
Here are overviews of what our students studied in the 2015-16 school year.
- First Term PYP Overview (November 2015)
- Second Term PYP Overview (March 2016)
- Third Term PYP Overview (June 2016)
Here are overviews of what our students studied in the 2014-15 school year.
- First Term PYP Overview (November 2014)
- Second Term PYP Overview (March 2015)
- Third Term PYP Overview (June 2015)
Here are overviews of what our students studied in the 2013-14 school year.
- First Term PYP Overview (November 2013)
- Second Term PYP Overview (March 2014)
- Third Term PYP Overview (June 2014)
Here are overviews of what our students studied in the 2012-13 school year.
- First Term PYP Overview (November 2012)
- Second Term PYP Overview (March 2013)
- Third Term PYP Overview (June 2013)
Here are overviews of what our students studied in the 2011-12 school year.